Monday 11 February 2013

Old school Eldar Rangers: Dramatic Basing.

A while back, I got my hands on some Eldar stike force, painted in Ulthwe scheme.

Some of the miniatures where terribly painted, having lots of undiluted paint on them, layers of old basing material, and such. I got them stripped down to metal this weekend, and I got my hands on the thing that came within a blister, some 10 years ago (maybe more).



I always liked the Eldar Rangers concept (I lost a squad of chaos space marine terminators by them on one of my first games ever! Damn that AP1 sniper rifles!) and seeing these guys always made me to want to paint them somewhat better. And I always liked the idea of making them somewhat dramatic, dynamic. There is not much dynamic pose on older models especially on metal ones.

So, I sat down and think. Where would be a great spot for a sniper? Amongst the ruins of course!




So, I had the plasticard, I had the cork material, I had the rangers. I just opened an old bag with plasticard scrap and cork scrap and started cutting with this little thingie called "bordure scissors".




Well, this little fella over here, is used to cut paper and cloth in the above pattern, as to make it look nice when you put it somewhere as a decoration. As you see, it's very sturdy, and can cut through plasticard and cork (obviously) with ease.

I used it to cut through some plasticard, to make them look like broken pieces of walls.



I then used a sharp modelling knife to cut small slots on the floor of the cork pieces, and-VOILA!-dramatic basing. The work took me about 45 minutes, and it was fun and quick.

Next thing is adding some more rubble, maybe burnt grass and such, and then undercoating them and painting them. I'm thinking of not gluing them on the ruins, in case someone doesen't think of them as tournament or tabletop legal, so I can just make some bases for them to swap them in the extraordinary possibility I would play an Eldar army list.

Again, as always, thanks for reading. Here are some more pictures.


Cheers.









No comments:

Post a Comment