Friday 25 January 2013

Slaanesh: Cenobites and music.

Everyone I know make fun of Emperor's Children: the women of the warp, the homos, this and that. Noone, I mean NOONE from those who make fun of them, took a minute to think about their concept. More or less, Emperor's Children, the chosen Legion of Slaanesh, The Prince of Excess (for his followers), She Who Thirsts (according to Eldar), is the manifestation of... well, excess. Debauchery and depravity, carnal lust, martial prowess. Slaanesh has it all. And much more.

The taboo concept around Slaanesh and his influence is the idea of marines having sex. Superhuman, DNA altered soldiers, that once fought for the sake of humanity and now are part of a daemonic pact, that want to stick their laraman's organs into each other's omophagea. Well, fine by me.

When it comes to modelling, I'm far from politically correct. You only have to take a look to my foetus wielding marine to have an idea of what I'm talking about. Slaanesh, is all about sex, BDSM, leather, spikes, pain, excess, whips. Everything points towards that direction. So, who else had the same concept? But Cenobites of course!


Look at the above picture. Now, put on those characters a set of power pack, a sonic weapon or two, some bolters and/or combat drugs. TA-DAH! Noise Marines.

So, with that in mind, five or six years ago, I came upon some mediocre miniatures from the game Warzone (I think, I am not sure). They where in a discount sale on a local store, and I bought them (you never have enough bits and pieces). One of those minis, was a dual combat shotgun wielding guy in a long dress (?!!?). I was like "Okeeeey, someone there had a lot of issues". But, due to the fact that his hands where not attached and he had a great looking face, something like a collection of trumpets protruding from his jaw, and he had a very nice posture, put me to thinking. At that time, the Siege of Vraks from Forge World came out, and along with that, the chaos cultists and chaos psychers. I never had an IG army or anything close to that, so I don't know now (as I didn't knew back then), why I wanted to make a miniature of a psycher like the one on the left:




So, I started sculpting his body, cutting here, and glueing there. I was never satisfied with the outcome. So I kept adding stuff:



It was around the same time I decided to cut down my GW Daemon Prince (the generic one for Warhammer 40K), to make the aspiring champions for the different legions, etc.

As, I have already told you, I continually added stuff. I gave him two fleshy "dreadlocks" like the guy from Star Wars had (Jabba the Hut's advisor), I made a freaky hand, an exposed spine, etc. It was my time that I had found how to work green stuff, and everything suddenly went green. Unfortunately I can't find any more pics from that era, depicting the build from ground up, of the miniature, but the only thing you need to know, (and finally understand why the whole Slaanesh and BDSM intro), is that at some point, I saw the potential of that guy, and started to make my mind in making a Slaanesh Daemon Prince.

During that period, we had a new army come out (Chaos Daemons) and two new codices, so the Daemon Prince lost his purpose (at least as far as I had him in mind). Anyway, at some point I've managed to sit down, and do some more work on him, up until tonight, where I got him out of the closet (no pun intended) and managed to have him about 95% complete.

So, with no further ado, I give you, the 101% non official, non tournament legal Slaaneshi Daemon Prince:




So, first things first.

Yes, that cube he's standing on is a giant speaker.
Yes, he levitates, he has no feet. Who needs feet in the warp anyway?
Yes, those things on his back are bass guitar strings.
Yes, the speaker is made out of cork.
Yes, he has one arm, the other one will be attached when it's time to be painted so I can paint his belly.

So, at first, I was thinking of giving him leather outfit and spikes and stuff like that. But, besides the fact that looked a little to painful to sit and sculpt a lot of leathers on him, he also seemed a little steep, comparing with the official Daemon Prince. So, out of the blue, I recalled some Noise Marines miniatures a guy had made, a long time ago, who where all modelled after a Heavy Metal concept. Those guys had a giant speaker as a chaos spawn, they had guitar amps, flying-v guitars, etc. So I decided to make this, a giant speaker, that connects to the Prince via a large array of pipes and tubes, since he's a former noise marine. I gave him a Lash of Torment, and stuck a couple of Dirge Casters from the old Chaos Space Marines vehicle sprue. And voila! there he is. It's pretty simple really. Most time consuming procedure was the attachment of the tubes (I now have a set of superglued fingers) than making the speaker.

Here are some more pics from tonight's adventures:


The speaker before completion.



Rear view.


So, I hope you liked it. You know there are a few things that can match the satisfaction of bringing something to a completion. I've always thought of making stuff other people like, but finally I am contempt with just making stuff that I like first, and then, if other people like them, it's fine by me.

So, hope you liked it. See you soon.

Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment